- Steven Culp was Marc Cherry's first choice to play Rex. When Culp couldn't do the project, due to prior commitments, Cherry hired actor Michael Reilly Burke to play Rex. When Burke didn't test well with audiences, Cherry asked Culp again. Culp was now available and went on to play Rex.
- Despite being killed-off in season 1, Rex has appeared since in every season (excluding season 4 and 6). He is still mentioned by his family often.
- Rex Van De Kamp narrates episode 3.16 "My Husband, The Pig" that focuses on the men of Wisteria Lane. Steven Culp submitted this episode for consideration of his work in the category of "Outstanding Voice-Over Performance" for the 2007 Emmy Awards. (Source: "2007 Emmys CONFIRMED Episode Submissions". The Envelope Forum, Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2007-06-18.)
- Rex and Bree Van de Kamp were both named after the overtly vain characters on two of Marc Cherry's previous failed sitcoms, The Five Mrs. Buchanans (Bree) and The Crew (Rex).
- Rex Van De Kamp's birthday is March 30th, making him just over 3 months older than his wife Bree.
- Rex was allergic to onions, as seen when Bree accidentally adds onions to his salad at a resturaunt, when distracted by Martha Huber in the "Pilot" episode, causing him to have an allergic reaction and end up in the emergency room.
- Marc Cherry got the idea for Desperate Housewives from his mother! She mentioned to him that operating their household and raising children with Cherry's father away so much, sometimes made her feel "desperate".